Background

Friday, January 24, 2014

11-11 Pepero Day!

First written November 2012:


Something that happens in the month of November in Korea is a fun little fabricated holiday called Pepero Day. Every year on 11-11 is Pepero Day. It is sort of similar to Valentine's Day because you give Pepero to people you love. You give it to your wife, your children, you teachers, etc. Pepero is shaped like a stick (or a 1) so Koreans celebrate 11-11 by giving each other  the "1" shaped treat pepero.

Pepero is a delicious little treat and there are a few different kinds of pepero.




 Original pepero is a biscuit stick (similar to shortbread flavor) dipped in dark chocolate. 

 There is almond and chocolate covered pepero.

Then "nude" pepero. Which is basically inside out pepero. It's a hollow biscuit stick with chocolate on the inside. I like all pepero but this is my current favorite.

And not sold any other time of year but around the pepero holiday is the strawberry dipped pepero. 

If you have every tried the Japanese version of this treat called "pocky" (which you can find at basically any grocery store in the states) it is very similar to that.

Unfortunately Pepero Day was on Saturday this year so I didn't get very much pepero from my students but that doesn't mean I didn't eat my fair share of pepero.

Us "waygooks" (foreigner in Korean) had a little pepero party of our own. 
And at about 60 cents a box, why would you not buy a box or 10 every time you go to the grocery store? :)




And of course I got a "LOVE" pepero from my love. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment