Background

Friday, January 24, 2014

Chuseok: Korean Thanksgiving

First written November 2012:

Hello All!

It's been so long since my last post that I don't even know where to begin. Fall is in full swing here in Cheonan City, South Korea. The leaves are changing colors and everything is beautiful. 


These are just a preview of pictures that will come later.

We have been very busy this month. I can't even believe that tomorrow starts November. At the end of September we had a 5 day weekend due to a Korean holiday called Chuseok. Chuseok is a harvest holiday similar to Thanksgiving (but nothing like Thanksgiving too). It is a family holiday and most Koreans go to "grandma's house" for the holiday. EVERYONE travels. So Zack and I decided to use our time to stay in Seoul for a few days and explore the city. The city was very deserted due to the holiday so it was easy to get around the city without as many people there. 


This is part of a HUGE palace we visited in Seoul during our Chuseok vacation. 



We have been to a "Walnut Cookie Festival" and the "World Dance Festival". Both of which were in Cheonan City. 


Zack and I have been to both a cat cafe and a dog cafe to get our animal "fix". Which is exactly how it sounds. It is a business that has cats or dogs that you can play with when you order coffee. 

Cat Cafe


Dog Cafe



I have been working or several projects for my classroom to make it more fun and inviting. And who am I kidding, it's also my crafting outlet while in Korea.




Also, KNU (Korea Nazarene University) has about 60 native teachers in the program for Cheonan City Public Schools. Once a semester they take us on a "Cultural Excursion". It was last weekend. They took us to a city near Seoul on buses. We went to an art museum with a gorgeous outdoor garden. And then we went to a theme park called Everland. It's the closest thing to Disney in Korea. In actuality it is an oversized fair. But we still had fun. (However, there are Disney parks in Tokyo, Japan and in Hong Kong. Zack and I are determined to hit one of them while we are here). They gave all of us zip up sweatshirt jackets with Korea Nazarene University printed on them and a lunch ticket for the park. 





I had a pretty bad cold last week and lost my voice but am much better now. My co-teachers are so sweet.





And last but not least, I had 'stag beetles' brought to my classroom..... (yes, I said beetles. Plural.)



Well, I hope that this post will curb you're hunger for Korea blogposts for a little while. I will work on individual posts along with more pictures.

Love you all!














No comments:

Post a Comment